These terms and conditions are divided into the following sections:
- Defined words
- Ceremonies terms and conditions
- Appointments terms and conditions
- Ante room use terms and conditions
- Rebooking, rescheduling and cancellation policy
- Defined words
1.1 Any reference in these terms and conditions to “we”, “us” or “our” is a reference to Islington & London City Registration Services, and/or Say I Do Islington, a brand name used by Islington and London City Registration Services to deliver ceremonies. Any reference to “you” or “your” is a reference to any customers and these references may be used interchangeably and for the avoidance of doubt refers to both parties having a ceremony/appointment.
1.2 A ceremony for the purpose of these terms and conditions is defined as a:
- Marriage Ceremony
- Civil Partnership Ceremony
- Renewal of Vows ceremony
- Naming Ceremony
- Commitment Ceremony
- Civil partnership conversion ceremony
- Citizenship ceremony
1.3 An appointment for the purpose of these terms and conditions is defined as a:
- Birth registration
- Death registration
- Notice of marriage
- Notice of civil partnership
- Civil partnership conversion (without ceremony)
- Reregistration of birth or death
- Proof of life
- Ceremonies Terms and Conditions
Your ceremony booking is accepted subject to the terms and conditions set out in this document and on the basis that you agree to the terms and conditions in their entirety.
2.1 A non-refundable deposit must be paid at the time of the booking to secure a date for your ceremony in our diary.
2.2 If the ceremony is in less than 3 months’ time full payment must be made at the time of booking.
2.3 The balance of the ceremony fees is payable either at the time of the booking, or no less than 3 months prior to the date of the ceremony.
2.4 If your ceremony is at a licensed venue other than Islington Town Hall it is your responsibility to book and pay for that venue.
2.5 Islington & City Registration Service cannot be held responsible and is not liable for any delay, postponement or cancellation of your ceremony and financial loss that may occur as a result of events which are outside our control, and you will be subject to the cancellation and amendment fees. These events include, but are not limited to:
- Legal preliminaries not being completed in time. It is your responsibility to ensure that you complete the legal preliminaries (giving notice) correctly, and within the statutory time limits. We will not be held accountable for waiting times to give notice at other register offices.
- Change in fire and/or health and safety regulations or advice, including those affecting the capacity of ceremony rooms.
- Venue not having a valid licence at the time of the ceremony. Ceremonies can only take place in venues that have been licensed for this purpose. We recommend that you ask to see the venue’s licence before booking and check that your ceremony date is covered by it. If the venue’s licence expires before the date of your ceremony, please ask the venue for written assurance that they will renew their licence before your ceremony date.
- UK Visa and Immigration processing times for visas.
- UK Visa and Immigration intervention or investigation. It is an offence under section 25(1) of the Immigration Act 1971 to enter into a marriage to help facilitate a stay in the United Kingdom.
- Registrar General’s processing times or decision on foreign divorce/dissolution of a previous marriage/civil partnership.
- Your lateness and/or the lateness of your witnesses and/or guests. The registrars attending your ceremony have other ceremonies to attend throughout the day, and cannot allow the lateness of one ceremony to impact upon another. You and your witnesses must be available to meet with the registrars at the ceremony venue no later than 15 minutes before the ceremony start time.
- Suitable witnesses not being provided. It is your duty to provide two witnesses who are over the age of 18 and can speak and understand English to witness the marriage/civil partnership. Our staff cannot act as witnesses.
- Legal impediment to marriage or civil partnership. If at any point it is alleged that a legal impediment exists, the Superintendent Registrar has a legal duty to investigate before the ceremony can take place. Your registrar has the legal responsibility to stop your ceremony from proceeding if:
- Either of the parties to a marriage or civil partnership appear to be acting under duress
- Either of the parties to a marriage or civil partnership appear to be intoxicated and are therefore unable to understand the nature and purport of the ceremony
- Either of the parties to a marriage or civil partnership appear to lack the mental capacity to understand the nature and purport of the ceremony
- A lawful objection is made before or during the marriage or civil partnership ceremony.
2.6 In cases of emergency, pandemic, epidemic, change in legislation, act of God, disaster, terrorism, or extreme weather conditions, we will do our best to enable the ceremony to take place as planned. However, Islington and City Registration Service cannot be held responsible and is not liable for any ceremony which has to be cancelled as a result of such events, which are out of our control.
2.7 We shall also not be liable for any associated costs such as travel, reception, catering etc. relating to a ceremony that is cancelled as a result of the events described in conditions 2.5 and 2.6 above.
2.8 We strongly recommend that you take out your own independent insurance against the possibility of cancellation or the postponement of any part of your ceremony and associated celebrations.
2.9 No food or drink (including alcohol) is permitted at Islington Town Hall, or in ceremony rooms at other licensed venues just before, or during or after the ceremony.
2.10 No animals (with the exception of recognised assistance animals) are permitted to enter Islington Town Hall.
2.11 Any gifts, flowers or property left at Islington Town Hall in conjunction with your ceremony are not the responsibility of the staff at Islington Town Hall.
2.12 Islington Town Hall is not offered as an exclusive use venue on Monday-Saturday, and you cannot expect exclusive use of the staircases, corridors, outside area or any part of the building other than the ceremony room you have chosen.
2.13 In the case of building or remedial work needed to Islington Town Hall (either internal or external) that may affect your ceremony experience or photographs, we will notify you with as much notice as possible, but it may not be possible to give you this information at the time of booking. This may include change of ceremony room to a room of similar or larger size.
2.14 The Richmond Room and Richmond Suite face onto residential dwellings and the licence requires that certain conditions are met regarding noise. If you book your ceremony in The Richmond Room or Richmond Suite you do so on the understanding that:
- At no time can the windows in these rooms be opened
- There must be no live music played at any point during the occupation of the rooms
- The volume at which recorded music can be played will be capped to a level acceptable to the registrar
2.15 We will allocate staff to attend your ceremony but are unable to guarantee the attendance of an individual registrar, and reserve the right to substitute other qualified staff in the event of sickness or other unforeseen circumstances on the day.
2.16 The ceremony must be legally compliant and of a dignified nature. We shall have the final decision on any wording and the content of the ceremony from start to finish.
2.17 We cannot be held responsible for the actions of our partner companies, or any financial loss that may occur as a result of you entering into a contract with one of our partner companies.
2.18 If you do not comply with the above conditions we reserve the right to halt the ceremony until these conditions are met. It is your responsibility to ensure that your guests are informed of, and observe, these conditions.
2.19 If the ceremony cannot take place due to any of the above terms and conditions you are subject to the cancellation and amendment fees set out below.
2.20 Flash sale specific terms and conditions- in addition to the terms of the booking policy above, and the Rebooking, Rescheduling and Cancellation Policy (Section 5 of this page), the flash sale price only relates to new bookings made during the advertised flash sale period. No refunds will be payable if the date of the ceremony is subsequently changed to a later date, and the usual full price will then be payable. Discounts cannot be applied to any Statutory Room bookings, as the statutory ceremony fees are set by central government.
- Appointments Terms and Conditions
3.1 Your appointment booking is accepted subject to terms and conditions set out in this document and on the basis that you agree to the terms and conditions in their entirety.
3.2 If you have appointments with Islington & London City Registration Service you must arrive at the agreed time of your appointment(s). If you arrive late for your appointment you will not be seen and are subject to the rescheduling and rebooking policy below.
3.3 You agree to provide all original documents required (as per the guidance on our website) at the time of your appointment. If you arrive without the correct documents you will not be seen and are subject to the rescheduling and rebooking policy below. Photocopies/scanned copies of documents will not be accepted.
3.4 If you are giving notice of marriage or civil partnership and have had foreign divorces, you agree to provide the documentation required by the General Register Office in order to assess if you divorce is valid in England and Wales.
3.5 Islington & London City Registration Service will not be held accountable for processing times of outside bodies e.g. UK Visa and Immigration, the General Register Office.
- Ante room use
4.1 The ante room at Islington Town Hall is bookable at selected times for you to use for the 45 minutes prior to your ceremony time.
4.2 Please note that 15 minutes before the ceremony, the registrars will need to conduct the pre-ceremony legal interview with you in this room. At this point, anyone other than those having their ceremony will be asked to leave the ante room.
4.3 A non-refundable deposit must be paid at the time of the booking to secure the ante room in our diary. Deposits are non-refundable in all circumstances.
4.4 If the ceremony is in less than 3 months’ time full payment for the ante room must be made at the time of booking.
4.5 The balance of the ante room fees is payable either at the time of the booking, or no less than 3 months prior to the date of the ceremony.
4.6 The ante room fee, less the deposit paid, is refundable provided you give us 42 days or more notice of your intention to cancel. Cancellations must be made in writing – by letter or email only. You will need to include the full details of the ceremony booking (the date, time, venue and your full names) and the method of payment. It is also helpful if you are able to supply the date of payment for the ante room and/or the authorisation code number which can be found on the payment receipt.
4.7 Upon booking, the ante room will be reserved for your use. If, on the day, you do not use the ante room, no refund is possible.
4.8 Registrars of all genders will need to access the ante room to conduct the pre-ceremony interview. Therefore, we ask you and your guests to arrive fully dressed. In addition to this, the room is suitable for small touch-ups, but please arrive with your hair and makeup done.
4.9 Once you have booked the use of the ante room you are responsible for the behaviour and actions of your guests while using the room. Inappropriate behaviour may result in you and your guests being asked to leave the ante room.
4.10 You and your guests are not permitted to smoke, vape, eat food or drink alcohol in the ante room.
4.11 You should not use the ante room for any activities which are dangerous, offensive, illegal, or which are or may become a nuisance to our neighbours, staff or other couples, including playing loud music.
4.12 Once you have booked the use of the ante room you are liable to pay the cost of making good any damage, breakages, missing items or extensive cleaning needed in the ante room after use (excluding fair wear and tear).
4.13 You and your guests are expected to leave the room as you found it.
4.14 It is not permitted to make any alterations or attachments or additions including decoration to the ante room.
4.15 No luggage or personal items can be left in the ante room prior to, or after the time of the ante room booking period.
4.16 You and/or your guests will not be able to enter the ante room prior to, or after the time of the ante room booking period.
4.17 You and your guests will need to comply with any and all fire and/or health and safety regulations or advice from us, including keeping to the listed capacity of the ante room.
4.18 If you reschedule your ceremony date and/or time, please be aware that the ante room is not guaranteed to be available on your new date/time. Please check the ante room availability with us before confirming your ceremony rescheduling if ante room use is crucial to your plans.
- Rebooking, Rescheduling and Cancellation Policy
Booking Fees and Deposits
5.1 A non-refundable deposit for ceremonies, or booking fee for ante room use or appointments, is payable at the time of booking for all services.
5.2 If you attend the appointment/ceremony, the fees paid in advance will be used towards payment for the service.
5.3 If you are unable to attend your appointment or ceremony, please see the rescheduling and cancellation details listed below.
5.4 All appointments can be rescheduled (subject to availability) provided you give 48 hours or more notice.
5.5 If the alternative date incurs a higher fee, the difference must be paid at the time of rescheduling.
5.6 If the alternative date incurs a lower fee than your previous date no refund will be given.
5.7 If you give less than 48 hours’ notice you will have to rebook the appointment and pay the booking fee again.
5.8 Appointments can be rescheduled in writing – by letter (the 48 hours will be measured from receipt of your message) or email to: email@example.com
5.9 All ceremonies can be rescheduled to a different day, time and/or room within your chosen licensed venue (subject to availability). An administration fee (currently £40.00) will be payable each time a change is made.
5.10 If the change is made less than 6 weeks (42 days) before the original booking, the booking is subject to our cancellation policy. A fresh booking would need to be made and paid for in full.
5.11 If the alternative date or room incurs a higher fee, the difference must be paid at the time of rescheduling. If your alternative date or room has a lower fee the difference will be refunded providing this is at least 6 weeks (42 days) before the original ceremony date.
5.12 Once you change or reschedule a ceremony you lose your rights to a refund at a later date.
5.13 Ceremonies can be rescheduled in writing by letter or email. Requests should be sent to: The Superintendent Registrar, Islington Register Office, Town Hall, Upper Street, London, N1 2UD or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
5.14 Booking fees are non-refundable in all circumstances.
5.15 Deposits are non-refundable in all circumstances.
5.16 The full ceremony fee, less the deposit paid, is refundable provided you give us 42 days or more notice of your intention to cancel.
5.17 Failure to attend your ceremony (regardless of the reason) will be considered a cancellation without sufficient notice, and as such no fees will be refunded.
5.18 Ceremonies must be cancelled in writing – by letter or email only. You will need to include the full details of the ceremony booking (the date, time, venue and your full names) and the method of payment. It is also helpful if you are able to supply the date of payment and/or the authorisation code number which can be found on the payment receipt.
5.19 Cancellation requests should be sent to: The Superintendent Registrar, Islington Register Office, Town Hall, Upper Street, London, N1 2UD or emailed to: email@example.com